Situated in the Inner Sunset neighborhood, Underdog is an eco-friendly restaurant that specializes in organic hot dogs and sausages. Established in 2006, the eatery is known as the first organic hotdog joint in San Francisco. In addition to supplying locals with good ol’ American comfort food with friendly customer service, the restaurant also provides catering services for a sustainable meal grilled to perfection.
Address: 1634 Irving St
(between 18th Ave & 17th Ave)
Phone: (415) 665-8881
Underdog’s meat sausages are made from organic meats and spices, while their vegetarian and Vegan sausages are made from non-GMO soy. Food is served on organic white or wheat buns or gluten free corn tortilla, and diners have a range of organic condiments to choose from. The restaurant also sells seasonal sides (like potato salad and cole slaw), desserts (cookies, cakes and pies), beverages, snacks, and candy.
Other menu highlights include:
• The Spinach Feta organic sausage, which is made with chicken and turkey with organic feta cheese and spinach. Other meat sausage selections include the Roasted Garlic, Spicy Italian, and Chicken Apple.
• Organic Vegan sausage options, which come highly recommended, and include the Vegan Dog, Vegan Polish, Vegan Italian, Vegan Smoked Chipotle, Vegan Apple Sage, and Vegan Red Pepper.
In addition to sampling organic Bratwurst or savoring the taste of their Hot Links (traditional Louisiana style pork sausage with jalapenos), past customers often praise the following items served at Underdog:
• Served on a hot toasty bun, the Vegan Smoked Chipotle Sausage is said to have ‘a surprisingly mouth-watering meat-like texture that is full of spices with a hint of smokiness’. Raw onions, relish, mustard, and ketchup also add to the overall taste experience.
• To satisfy the vegetarian looking for a good sausage spot, the Vegan Red Pepper doesn’t disappoint, and tastes even better with the addition of toppings, such as onions, sauerkraut and mustard.
• The Hot Link with Cheese has been called ‘amazing’ – a fresh-tasting sausage that delivers a rather pronounced jalapeno flavor, and is served on a perfectly toasted bun.
Closest Golden Gate Park Attractions
The closest attraction in Golden Gate Park to Underdog is the Mother’s Playground.
Hours: Mon-Sun – from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.