With three locations in San Francisco, the Sunrise Deli & Café is a Mediterranean deli selling Middle Eastern food – with a café situated within walking distance to Golden Gate Park. Known about town for serving up the best falafel and Middle Eastern food, the chain of delis has been in the business since 1984. Situated in the Outer Sunset neighborhood, the establishment not only offers seating for lunch, but also caters events by supplying patter platters and trays.
Address: 2115 Irving St
(between 22nd Ave & 23rd Ave)
Phone: (415) 664-8210
The menu at Sunrise Deli & Café includes Fresh Sandwiches (such as the Kufta Kabob and Lamb Shawarma), Plates (offered in Vegetarian, Falafel, Shawarma and Kabob), Salads and Dips (including tabouli, tahini, and hummus), and Appetizers (such as Dolma – grape leaves stuffed with rice and spices).
Other menu highlights include:
• Flatbread ‘pizzas’ such as the Manageesh (Thyme Pizza) made with thyme and sesame, and the Lahmajin (Armenian Pizza) made with ground lamb, bell peppers, onions and tomatoes.
• An appetizer of Spinach Pie, which is triangular-shaped bread topped with chopped spinach and onions, is served with or without feta cheese.
In addition to the lemony tang of the hummus or the flavorful, tender Shawarma, past customers often praise the following items served at Sunrise Deli & Café:
• For those who enjoy Halvah (a nougat-like dessert), the restaurant usually has a large block in stock that previous diners have described as ‘crumbly and completely delicious.’
• The Avocado Falafel Sandwich is made with avocado, pickled turnips, lettuce, diced tomatoes, hummus, and tons of falafel, and served inside of a pita pocket. Many note that you get a lot of food, and it is pretty tasty.
• Some customers will tell you that Sunrise serves the best Falafels in town – described as flavorful, light and airy, and not at all greasy.
Closest Golden Gate Park Attractions
One of the closest attractions in Golden Gate Park to the Sunrise Deli & Café is Elk Glen Meadow.
Hours: Monday-Saturday – from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday – from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.