Located in the Inner Sunset neighborhood, Nopalito is a Mexican restaurant that offers traditional cooking styles that utilize local, organic, and sustainable ingredients. Open for lunch and dinner, patrons are seated on a first‑come, first‑served basis. The restaurant is also available for take-out orders and catering, but experiencing the atmosphere of the eatery is a must – from dazzling décor features to tabletops and benches built from fallen trees.
Address: 1224 9th Ave
(between Lincoln Way & Irving St)
Phone: (415) 233-9966
Nopalito offers a Lunch and Dinner Menu, which are updated on a regular basis to reflect the seasonal availability of ingredients, which ensures that your meals are as fresh as possible.
The Lunch Menu offers Botanas (like taquitos and salads), Antojitos (Appetizers) such as Panucho de Pollo al Pibil (black bean stuffed tortilla with citrus-achiote chicken), Torta y Quesadillas (including shredded pork and fried chicken options), Platillos Fuertes (Hot Plates) like Huevos de Caja, which is poached eggs accompanied by refried black beans, corn tortilla, Jack cheese and salsa de cilantro.
The Dinner Menu is comprised of entrees, such as Mole Poblano con Pollo (sauce of toasted chiles, chocolate, cinnamon, nuts, sesame seeds, onion, seared chicken breast and rice), Ceviche Verde de Pescado y Calamari (marinated fish, calamari, lime, tomatillo, jalapeño, cilantro, avocado and tortilla chips), and Pepinos con Naranja, Chile y Limón (salad of cucumber, orange, pickled red onion, chile, lime and salsa bufalo).
Other menu highlights include:
• The Mexican Spiced Hot Chocolate is a specialty of the restaurant, and joins a variety of homemade drinks, including Ginger-Lemonade, Almond Horchata, and Oaxacan-style Strawberry-Almond Horchata.
• Patrons often cap off a meal with one of Nopalito’s homemade Popsicles (called Paletas Hechas en Casa), which come in Dark Chocolate-Cinnamon or Seasonal Fruit flavors.
Complimentary foods that accompany a meal include the crunchy Chili-Spiced Garbanzo Beans for an addicting starter snack and the almondy Mexican Wedding Cookies that cap off a meal.
In addition to sipping seasonal sangria or a whipped cream-topped Mexican coffee, past customers of Nopalito often praise the following menu items:
• Considered by some as the best ceviche in San Francisco, the Ceviche Appetizer offers a white fish and calamari dish that comes with tomatillo, lime, and slices of avocados.
• Made with pork belly, fresh onions and cilantro, Quesadilla Roja con Chicharron has been called a favorite of many patrons.
• The spiciness of the Totopos con Chile has been described as amazing.
Closest Golden Gate Park Attractions
The closest attractions in Golden Gate Park to Nopalito include the Baseball Field and the San Francisco Botanical Garden.
Hours: Monday – Saturday, from 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Sunday from 10:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.