Located in the Outer Sunset neighborhood, Marnee is a Thai restaurant found close to Golden Gate Park – operating with a reputation for quick service and an enthusiastic, welcoming owner that makes you feel at home. Depending on who you speak to, the restaurant offers a variety of favorites and specials, such as Spicy Angel Wings and an Avocado Salad offering chunks of avocado tossed with shredded green mango, shallots, prawns and topped with toasted coconut.
Marnee Thai seems to also be a favorite amongst vegetarians, who have plenty of selections to consider. To avoid the crowds, it is suggested to make a reservation, but you can also order from a take-out menu. However, you should know that this is not your typical quiet meal out, and it tends to get pretty loud during a sit-down meal, but some say that this is all part of the experience.
Address: 2225 Irving St
(between 24th Ave & 23rd Ave)
Phone: (415) 665-9500
The Marnee Thai menu offers a Lunch Menu that includes noodle and rice plates, and a Dinner Menu with the following selections: Thai curries (including red, yellow and gree), From the Wok (sautéed meals cooked in a range of sauces), Bar BQ/Roasted chicken, duck or pork, Vegetable/Vegetarian dishes (such as tofu and fresh vegetable dishes), and Specials. Add steamed jasmine rice or cucumber salad as a side order. Appetizers, Thai Salads (like the Green Payaya Salad), and Soups are available throughout the day.
Desserts include fried banana with honey, and roti.
Marnee Thai serves a Thai iced tea that has been praised as some of the best ever tasted, which can quench your thirst after indulging in menu items, such as tasty mango sticky rice or the tender pork found in the flavorful Penang Pork Curry.
Other menu highlights include:
• Bite-sized snacks known as Miang Kam (spinach leaves with dried shrimp, peanuts, ginger, lime, coconut, sauce), which has been called a rare find on a North American Thai menu.
• The Pad Thai (fried rice stick noodles sautéed with prawn, bean curd, egg, bean sprout and ground peanut) is also available in vegetarian, which represents one of most famous and popular street foods in Thailand – and is said to offer just the right amount of sauce and flavor.
In addition to sampling today’s specials or experiencing an order of Thai iced coffee, past customers praise the following dishes at Marnee Thai:
• Coconut Hot Cakes with Corn, the unique homemade hotcakes served at the restaurant, provide a “somewhat savory, somewhat sweet” taste experience. Served in small portions, these piping-hot cakes are often recommended by the owner. The homemade chili sauce topping the hot cakes is a real winner with customers.
• The BBQ Pork has been called an excellent dish that provides a lot of favor and meat.
• Guay Tiew Koor (made for vegetarians) combines pan-fried wide rice noodles with chicken, egg, bean sprouts and ground peanuts, and has been called “surprisingly good.”
Closest Golden Gate Park Attractions
The closest attractions in Golden Gate Park to Marnee Thai include Elk Glen Meadow, Elk Glen Lake, and Mallard Lake.
Hours: Open Daily 11:30 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.