Located in the Inner Sunset neighborhood, Izakaya Sozai is a Japanese restaurant located one block away from Golden Gate Park that serves tapas/small plates, in addition to larger entrees. A highlight of the restaurant is the ramen noodles, which are served in pork broth and can be customized with a variety of ingredients. It is suggested to make reservations for Izakaya Sozai to avoid the long waits that may occur without one. There is also a take-out menu to browse, but part of the experience of the eatery is taking in the sights, sizzling sounds and smells of the restaurant.
Address: 1500 Irving St
(between 17th Ave & 16th Ave)
Phone: (415) 742-5122
The Izakaya Sozai menu offers Otsumami (smaller meals), Vegetables, Salad, Sashimi, Nimono (braised pork belly or beef tendon), Fried foods (such as fried chicken wings, pepper jack cheese, and tofu), a la Carte (including sake steamed clams in garlic butter), Yakitori (grilled foods – two skewers per order), Kushiage (breaded and deep fried options), and After Sake (such as yaki onigiri grilled rice balls with salmon).
Izakaya Sozai offers soda, sake, and oolong tea for meals, which pair well with some of the favorite dishes of the restaurant, which include a flavorful Grilled Eggplant with Miso and Agedashi Tofu – known for its texture and flavors to savor.
Other menu highlights include:
• Ritsu Tonkotsu Ramen – Served with one soft boiled egg and a slice of chasu, this fully-loaded ramen offers a black peppery, rich, fatty broth that provides a taste of the full Sozai experience.
• Takoyaki (battered octopus balls served in a tonkatsu sauce) – Topped with tasty sauces, the inside of the octopus balls are juicy and tender.
If you’d like to recreate the flavor of Izakaya Sozai, the restaurant sells its spicy miso, which they use in their tonkotsu, but it can also be used to enhance any Japanese dish.
In addition to the texture, cooking style and flavor of the ramen being a real hit, past customers praise the following dishes at Izakaya Sozai:
• The seasoning on the dry-fried White Pepper House Chicken Wings have been called “addicting,” and are recommended to people who enjoy eating wings.
• The Garlic Soy Edamame is served with fried garlic, and is said to present a warm, salty, treat to munch on.
• A great deal of reviews praise the Green Tea Cheesecake – described as a light and subtle dessert.
Closest Golden Gate Park Attractions
The closest attractions in Golden Gate Park to Izakaya Sozai include Mother’s Playground and the San Francisco Botanical Garden.
Hours: Mon-Thu, Sun – from 5:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Fri-Sat – from 5:30 p.m. to 11 p.m.