Soccer, tennis, art, and special exhibitions, oh my! There are plenty of fun activities and attractions to explore for Golden Gate Park events in March 2022. This month, we say “goodbye” to the Entwined illuminated installation and “hello” to longer days filled with magnolias, meditation, and music. If you’re looking for something to do in San Francisco on a warm, sunny day—look no further than the Golden Gate Park events below.
“de Youngsters Day Out” Free Museum Day – de Young Museum – March 5
The de Young Museum has a fun-filled community day planned for Bay Area kids and their families. Not only will there by plenty of art activities and other fun, they can also enjoy free admission to the museum’s permanent collection and special exhibition galleries.
This free event is from 9:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m.
GGP Free Music Festival – Music Concourse Bandshell – March 5
Bring the kids to the Spreckels Temple of Music to enjoy a free live music festival from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
“Entwined” Forest Closing Party – Peacock Meadow – March 6
All good things must come to end, and so it’s time to bid farewell to the illuminous “Entwined” forest. You will get a chance to meet the crew that made the Entwined exhibit possible. This free event is from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. with live music (courtesy of the brass band Mission Delirium) from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Free Music Performances at GGP Bandshell – March 6 – March 30
Throughout the month of March, the Golden Gate Park Bandshell will host endless musicians and groups. In celebration of International Woman’s Month, you can expect to hear woman-fronted bands and special guests all month long. A list of performances for March 2022 include:
- Crucial Reggae Sundays with Irie Dole and special guests (4:30 p.m. – 7 p.m.): 3/6 (special guest DJ Green B 5:30 to 6:30 pm); 3/12 (special guest Ay Que Linda 5:30 to 6:30 pm); 3/20 (special guest DJ Sep 5:30 to 6:30 pm); and 3/26 (special guest DJ LadyRyan 5:30 to 6:30 pm)
- All-Female Singer/Songwriter Wednesdays (4 p.m. – 7 p.m.): 3/9 (4:00 PM -Stephanie Woodford, 5 p.m. – Monica Maria, 6 p.m. – Keepers of Humanity); 3/16 (An Evening with Deborah Crooks – 2 Sets (5 p.m. and 6 p.m.) and Opening act Aireene Espiritu at 4 p.m.); 3/23 (Market to Bandshell – GABI – 4 p.m., Rebecca Chapa – 5 p.m., Columba Livia 6 p.m. (produced in association with Sunset Mercantile); and 3/30 (Ariana Nicole – 4 p.m., Anna Karney – 5 p.m., Little Gems – 6 p.m.).
- Soul/Jazz/R&B Happy Hour on Fridays (4:30 p.m. – 7 p.m.): 3/10 (Nate’ Soulsanger (2 Sets 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. and 6 to 7 p.m.); 3/18 (Celebration of Women Empowerment through Music with special guests Yvonne Cobbs, Mary Williams and Robin Cobb-Williams (3 hours of music); and 3/25 (Renegade Orchestra – 2 Sets 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. and 6 to 7 p.m.).
- Saturdays (12 p.m. – 4 p.m.): 3/11 (show TBD) and 3/19 (Citizen’s Jazz – A Tribute to Nina Simone (2 Sets)
Semi-Pro Soccer Match – Beach Chalet Fields – March 6
Tell all of your soccer fan friends that the SF City FC and Mexicali will meet at Golden Gate Park’s Beach Chalet Fields for a semi-pro match from 2:45 p.m. to 4:45 p.m. This is a free sports event.
Play Tennis – GGP Tennis Courts – March 6
All levels of tennis players are welcome to come on over to the GGP Tennis Courts to enjoy a few matches with members of the Bay Area Urban Adventure Club from 11:15 a.m. to 1 p.m. The Courts are located on Nancy Pelosi Drive and Bowling Green Drive.
Art in the Garden: Plein Air Artmaking Workshops – SF Botanical Garden – March 6, 13, 20
Learn how to draw and paint outdoors with a group of art and nature lovers. Each workshop allows you to explore different areas of the Garden. These workshops are from 10:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Register here for single Plein Art Artmaking workshop tickets here.
Meditation in the Garden – SF Botanical Garden – March 6, 13, 20, 27
Embrace the beauty and elevated level of relaxation that comes from meditating in a garden. Join Charity Kahn for an hour-long program involving sitting, walking, and moving meditation with “a focus on mindfulness of body and senses.” Participants will meet at the Main Gate. Sign up to participate in an individual meditation class for 9 a.m. on Sundays. The cost is $25 per class (members receive a 10 percent discount). Note: It is suggested to bring a blanket, cushion, or small chair to sit on.
Thursday NightLife – California Academy of Sciences – March 10, 17, 24, 31
If you’re looking for something to do on a Thursday night, you can always count on the Academy, where there’s a new themed evening of fun offering science, activities, demonstrations, music, food, and drink. Thursday NightLife events are from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. for the 21 and over crowd. You must have proof of up-to-date vaccination, including booster, before you are allowed to enter the festivities.
The schedule of NightLife events at the Academy for March 2022 include:
- March 10 – Theme TBA
- March 17 – Of Land and Sea (nature-inspired performances by local artists and organizations)
- March 24 – Theme TBA
- March 31 – Black Ecosystem (Black storytelling through food, wine, music, and nature)
Inner Discovery Through Watercolor Florals with Kris Keys – SF Botanical Garden [ZOOM Webinar] – March 12
In partnership with San Francisco Botanical Garden, Kris Keys will guide you through a virtual exploration of watercolor painting with step-by-step instructions on how to paint three varieties of magnolias using watercolor paints. By the end of the workshop, you’ll have a few new techniques under your belt and two finished pieces. This class is suited for everyone, even if you’ve never picked up a paint brush before.
Register for this watercolor workshop and pay for your ticket ($70 for the general public) here. A link for the 12 p.m. Zoom webinar and supply list will be sent to you through email after purchasing your ticket.
Alice Neel: People Come First” Opening Day Celebration – de Young Museum – March 12
Come celebrate the art and legacy of American artist Alice Neel at de Young Museum. The opening of the Alice Neel: People Come First exhibit includes a free, all-day event with live portraits, live music, art making, and a panel conversation centered on Alice Neel.
This is a first-come first-served opening day event, with a limit of four tickets per family. It is scheduled to run from 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and includes the following highlights:
- “Making Fast Faces” with Eli Africa (11 a.m. to 12 p.m.) at the Piazzoni Murals Room. Local artist Eli Africa leads an interactive portrait drawing activity. You will receive a free live portrait drawing of yourself. Limited spaces available. RSVP here. Walk-ins are welcome.
- Live Music by B-Side Brujas (12 p.m. to 4 p.m.) at Wilsey Court. Bay Area DJ collective B-Side Brujas will entertain with live music.
- Live Portrait Drawing with Eli Africa (1 p.m. to 4 p.m.) at the de Young Café Terrace. Receive a free live portrait drawing of yourself by artist Eli Africa. This activity will begin at 1 p.m. Limited spaces available. Priority will be given to those who have attended the 11 a.m. “Making Fast Faces” activity.
- Exhibition Curators in Conversation (2 p.m. to 3:15 p.m.) at Koret Auditorium. Enjoy an in-depth conversation and behind the scenes look at Alice Neel’s exhibition.
An Evening with Deborah Crooks – GGP Music Concourse Bandshell – March 16
Spend an evening with Americana music with singer-songwriter Deborah Crooks and her band for a performance at the Golden Gate Bandshell, with special guest Aireene Espiritu. This is a free event from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. that is open for all ages.
Magnolia Curator Tour – SF Botanical Garden – March 17 & 26
Explore the beauty of magnolias with a curator-led tour through the Botanical Garden. There are two tour times for each day (10 a.m. and noon). The tour runs for about an hour and a half. Garden admission is included in the price of the tour ($28). Keep in mind that heavy rain and low attendance cancel this event. Register here for the Magnolia Tour.
A Celebration of African American Social Dance with Traci Barlow – de Young Museum – March 26
This presentation explores different eras of the Black experience in relation to African American social dances. A demonstration will first be held in Koret Auditorium, followed by social dancing to a curated playlist on the museum’s front lawn. This event is from 12 p.m. to 12:45 p.m. It is free to attend.
Magnolia Grafting Workshop – SF Botanical Garden – March 26
Calling all magnolia lovers! The Garden is hosting a workshop on the ancient art of grafting, a practice that dating back over 4,000 years. Learn the secrets of plant propagation and how to produce better fruit, wine, olive oil, and rare ornamental plants. For this workshop, you will concentrate on magnolias. There are two different workshop times to attend: 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. The cost is $100. Note: You are expected to bring a pair of pruners for this event.
Golden Gate Park Monthly Recurring Events
Recurring monthly events at Golden Gate Park for March 2022 include:
March 5, 12, 19, 26 – Blankets & Wine Comedy at Polo Field (3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.) (RSVP here).
March 5, 12, 19, 26 – Free de Young Museum Day for Bay Area Resident (every Saturday)
March 5, 6, 12, 13, 19, 20, 26, 27 – Music at the Beach Chalet (Saturdays & Sundays) from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. – the Jennifer Murphy Trio for March 2022
March 6 – Birding at SF Botanical Garden with Golden Gate Audobon, 8 a.m. – 11 a.m., free. RSVP here.
March 6, 13, 20, 27 – JAMboodas Music and Dance Class with Charity Kahn at SF Botanical Garden, 10:30 a.m.- 11:15 a.m. Tickets start at $25 for a family with one child. Register here.
March 6, 13, 20, 27– Outdoor Yoga, every Sunday from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. $16. Get tickets here.
March 6, 13, 20, 27 – “Lindy in the Park” swing dance party, every Sunday from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
March 6, 13, 20, 27 – Golden Gate Park Roller Disco Party at the Skatin’ Place – 6th Ave. and Kennedy Drive from 1 p.m. – 5 p.m., free (Sundays)
March 8 – San Francisco Botanical Garden’s Free Day (2nd Tuesdays)
March 9, 16, 23 – Free admission hour at Japanese Tea Garden, every Wednesday at 9 a.m.
March 11, 18, 19, 25 – Lakehouse Jazz at Stow Lake Boathouse (more details)
March 11 – Women and Non-Binary Bike S.F. 7:15 a.m. start – McLaren Lodge (more details)
March 12 – NAMI Saturday Strolls (monthly) at Murphy Windmill, 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. (details)
March 13, 20, 27 – Outdoor Singing Group at Mothers Meadow, 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Free. Register here.